Recently I experienced a very annoying problem with Firefox, my primary browser. When I would use Google (and sometimes Bing) my browser would freeze up, eventually “(not responding)” would show up on the bar, then it would crash. Every time!
- I changed to a different version of Firefox. Same result.
- I tried using a different search engine (duckduckgo.com, ixquick.com, startpage.com, etc) and all would be fine unless it took me to a Google result page, where it would freeze, then crash.
- I scanned for everything I could think of.
- I restarted Firefox without add-ons and the problem went away!
Great…! Now I had to add back add-ons and see what was causing it. I looked carefully over my list and discovered two online security add-ons:
- avast! online security, and
- Advanced SystemCare Surfing Protection 1.0.
Preferring to trust my anti-virus over a secondary program, I restarted, then disabled the ASC Surfing Protection (then uninstalled ASC program that kept asking to re-install it!).
Problem gone! Wow…that was unexpectedly easy!
It is possible that this could affect IE or Chrome; I don’t know that, but it is something to consider. Perhaps, similar to having two anti-viruses, these online security programs struggle for dominance and destabilize the browser. Whatever the reason, my browser is behaving perfectly now, so perhaps this will help someone.